Euston is blessed with a beautiful parish church, set amid the open parkland adjacent to Euston Hall. It is one of only four Wren style Restoration churches built outside London in the 1670's. Only two sections of the Gothic tower remain. The church was rebuilt by Lord Arlington in 1676 and has a wonderful mid 17th century interior. The foundation stone in the south wall was laid by the first Duchess of Grafton who was Arlington's daughter.
The church is open, with guides on duty, when the Hall is open to the public on advertised days in May and September. Visitors also have the chance to view the wonderful Hall grounds, which feature landscaping by John Evelyn, William Kent and Lancelot Capability Brown and can visit the water mill, bygones exhibition and excellent tearooms. The church enjoys a close relationship with its Patron the Duke of Grafton, Euston Estate and Euston Estate Farm. The church key is available by contacting Edward Wortley - firstname.lastname@example.org 01842 752224. With advanced booking, a guide can be available to conduct a tour around the building.
The church provides a continuing focus for annual events such as the Flower Festival during Rural Pastimes in June and holds well atttended festival services throughout the year: Easter, Flower Festival, Harvest, Remembrance and Christmas. It's wonderful situation means that it regularly hosts Wild Team Services designed to help us celebrate our spiritual connection with and appreciation of creation all around us.
Euston is a village with none of the usual amenities. First mentioned in the Doomsday book, it did not achieve prominence until purchased and developed by Henry Bennet, Earl of Arlington in 1666. Today there is a playing field which is run by the modest village social club, otherwise, no other amenities.
This is a close-knit community, with a good spirit and a general commitment to helping one another and, crucially, providing manpower and expertise in the various charitable events in support of the Church, St Nicholas Hospice and other worthy causes. This effort has the support of Their Graces The Duke and Duchess of Grafton who live at Euston Hall, which is central to the village. The Hall is surrounded by the Euston Estate, which is principally agricultural and residential and provides local employment. It has shoots, equestrian events, including an International Long Distance Riding competition, music festivals plus the long established Rural Pastimes event held in Euston Park on the second Sunday of June. The Countess of Euston has a great interest in rare breeds and has award-winning examples of the Suffolk Trinity with pedigree Red Poll cattle and Suffolk Punch heavy horses. As can be seen this is a community which has a deeply rooted rural tradition with many of those in the village enjoying this country way of life.
Euston Hall, with its wonderful collection of Old Masters and furniture, is open to the public on advertised days between May and September. Visitors also have the chance to view the wonderful Hall grounds, which feature landscaping by John Evelyn, William Kent and Lancelot Capability Brown and can visit the water mill, bygones exhibition and excellent tearooms. All profits from these open days are donated to charity. The present Duke and Duchess have carried out a massive restoration of both the house and grounds over the last four years.