St Gregory Nave
St Gregory Nave

Wreath making
Wreath making

Cafe in the Church
Cafe in the Church

St Gregory Nave
St Gregory Nave

1/5

Barnham

fb-art.png

Our Church

 

We hold regular Sunday services, including a Family Service on the first Sunday of the month at 10am. We hold many social events, including our very popular Farmers' Markets.

Every Wednesday morning at 10.30am we are holding a Bring your own Coffee Morning in the churchyard, for company and catching up.

We are very involved with our village school, Barnham CEVC Primary, who visit the church regularly to hold their Remembrance, Christmas, Epiphany and Easter services.  A small Team go into school fortnightly to lead Open the Book collective worship.  The children love it!  Several of our congregation are Governors at the school.

The church of St Gregory is a modest and appealing little building, well cared- for, much loved and in regular use. It stands prominently in the Village Street, within the Barnham Conservation area, and its tower is a focal point from many parts of the parish. It is built of flint with stone dressings and has a steeply pitched roof. The basic structure dates from the 13th century, with the tower a 14th century addition. In the 1860's the 5th Duke of Grafton, patron of the living, had the interior refitted and the north aisle added. In the chancel is a fine 13th century piscina and on the south side of the nave are the arms of William III of c.1695. The churchyard is surrounded by mature lime trees and is still in use for burials. 

As reported in "Suffolk Churches" in 2018: "In the north transept there is a replica of the village war memorial with nineteen names on it, a reminder of quite how many people worked on these estates in the days before technological modernisation.   But to the west, on the north wall of the aisle, is something quite different and really rather wonderful. It is a collage which builds up, house by house, a map of Barnham as it was at the 1911 census. The houses are named, the people named, and those soon to head off to the horror of France and beyond are shown too, proud in their new uniforms. It is a remarkable work, and deserves to be better known"

Our Parish

 

The parish of Barnham comprises the village and surrounding farms owned by the Euston Estate.  Those who are employed mostly work in the local area, especially the towns of Bury St Edmunds and Thetford, although there are several businesses in the village including car maintenance and fuel supplies.

Our Village Hall is the home for many groups, including Parent and Toddlers, Bowls Club, fitness clubs, Over 60s Club.  There are many social events: discos, plays, concerts, talks and Daffodil Teas.

The local village Primary School is an OfSted rated 'Good' school, which is closely linked with Euston Estate Farms as a Farm School.  It is a very popular school with an 'Outstanding' rating on its Christian character, values and ethos.